Although the spinal anatomy is extremely strong and very flexible, it’s regularly a source of upper and lower back discomfort and spinal pain between the shoulder blades. While spine pain may require a visit to an orthopaedic specialist, below are steps you can take to prevent further damage and relieve sore and hurting spines:

1.Mind Your Posture

For centuries, we’ve been told to “sit straight” and “no slouching.” These rules of proper posture have been beaten into our heads. Funny thing is; these rules still apply and can actually help relieve upper, mid, and lower back pain associated with spinal conditions and alignment. So remember, sitting up straight remains to be a bit of good advice.

bf0b34ffb5d2ab009bf9f3825981b5e8

2. Careful When Lifting Heavy Objects

Orthopedic specialists say that globally, nearly 85 percent of us suffer with spinal pain at some time or another; the other 15 percent are probably not lifting heavy pieces of furniture and such.

hwkb17_047 (1)

Another tip for when you must lift something hefty, do not twist. Twisting while lifting is the most damaging movement you can do to injure your spine. If that chair is too heavy, don’t pull it. Pushing the object using legs as the weight behind the push, will ensure that you do not harm your spine.

In order to avoid damage to your back, simply ask for help when lifting overweight objects.

3. Use Caution When Reaching and Bending

When you go to pick up a fallen book or piece of trash from the floor, under no circumstances should you bend at your waist when reaching for it; as an alternative, kneel down using just one knee, and pick it the item up slowly. You can even bend at your knees and lift yourself using your legs.

3

If you are trying to reach above your head, use a step stool or ask someone taller. When you strain to reach up for something, you can possibly injure your neck, shoulders and back.

4. Sleeping Properly

As humans, we spend nearly a third of our lives sleeping. If you avoid laying on your back while sleeping, you can reduce back pain. Each time you lie in your bed, position a pillow underneath of your knees— greatly easing any pressure that otherwise is placed on your spine.

Sleeping-posture

Most of us fall asleep on our sides, which is the best position to sleep when we are supported by a firm pillow between our knees. However, whichever position you choose, if you begin to feel spinal pain, change your position immediately.

5. Diet and Exercise Play a Major Role

If you’re overweight, consider losing weight. Your spine will thank you, as it has to work even hard when your weight more than your body is designed to hold. The closer you remain to your ideal weight will mean the less pressure you apply to your spine—reducing the risk of injury to your back. Losing belly fat can greatly reduce the chance of spinal pain as large pouches can cause damage to the muscles in your back, tendons, and ligaments.

o-EMPLOYEE-EXERCISE-facebook

A good exercise regimen will strengthen your back and help you to lose weight. Still, before you begin a diet or exercise program, ask your orthopedic doctor, especially if you have a history of back problems.

 

 

Following simple rules can greatly reduce your risks of spinal injury and pain, however, an orthopaedic doctor offer additional methods to help reduce and eliminate pain in your spine.